Wednesday, May 27, 2009

The Cake

I wanted to make a fun cake for Eric. he had been working so hard on my pantry I wanted to have an extra special birthday. I started with a heavy Chocolate Cake and Chocolate fudge butter cream filling. It is a sanding joke that we do something Sponge Bob for Eric's day. one year he got a stuffed sponge Bob toy. This year we went all out on the theme.

I found a colouring (Canadian Spelling) page of Sponge Bob that I enlarged to use as a template.

Then once the crumb coat was on I used fondant and cut out all the parts.

I n hind sight I should have used white icing, the brown was left over so i used it but it made the yellow a little muddy.

Almost done. It still need the outline. now you can see I don't have a steady hand and I have never done this kind of thing before so the outline is goobery. I was surprised the fondant was really easy to work with I will use it again.

2 comments:

simple mom/wife said...

Wow! Your are party planner expert for sure! That cake is amazing! Eric's a lucky man--happy birthday, Eric.

nichole said...

The cake is awesome! I did a beehive cake for Taya's first (bumblebee party). I used yellow fondant over chocolate icing, as well and part of my fondant got a little thin. It looked kind of bad in a few spots. Now I know, always use white icing or the same color as what will be over top.

Sarah, I just want to say. You are amazingly creative!!!!! But where do you find the time to put everything together?